The Central Connecticut baseball team was in a pitchers' duel for the second straight day, but fell at Bethune-Cookman 1-0 on Saturday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Senior Brandon Fox took the hard-luck loss for Central after throwing 6.0 innings in his first start of the year, while the CCSU offense was limited to three base hits. CCSU is 1-1 on the year, while Bethune-Cookman is now 4-2.
Score: Central Connecticut 0, Bethune-Cookman 1
Records: CCSU (1-1), B-CU (4-2)
Location:Jackie Robinson Ballpark | Daytona Beach, FL
Pitching Record: W - Mendez (2-0) | L: Fox (0-1) | S: Lequerica(1)
- Central got a leadoff single by junior Peyton Stephens in the fifth inning. He would move to third with two outs, but the Blue Devils were unable to knock him in.
- B-CU was hitless until a single to leadoff the sixth inning. Josten Heron would single and move to third with one out. Enrique Porchas singled to drive in the only run of the game.
- The Wildcats would retire 12 straight Blue Devils batters until senior Dave Matthews singled with two outs in the ninth. B-CU closed the game with a strikeout to seal the 1-0 win.
- Fox did not allow a hit until the sixth inning. He went 6.1 innings and allowed one run on four hits with two strikeouts and two walks.
- Freshman Jack Carraturo and junior Matt Shane tossed 1.2 innings of hitless relief with three strikeouts.
- Junior Sam Loda threw out a would-be base stealer in the sixth inning.
- Matthews, Stephens and junior Jake Siracusa each had singles for CCSU.
The teams wrap up the series on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.