The Central Connecticut baseball team fell to Lehigh, 7-5, on Saturday at Sanford Memorial Stadium in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. Senior Buddy Dewaine and junior Peyton Stephens each hit homeruns for the Blue Devils, but a four-run seventh inning by the Panthers would provide the difference in the game. CCSU is 2-2 on the year, while Pitt improves to 8-1.
Score: Central Connecticut 5, Lehigh 7
Records: CCSU (2-3), Lehigh (2-6)
Location: Sanford Memorial Stadium | Sanford, FL
Pitching Record: W - Black (1-2) | L: Fox (0-2) | Sv: Deom (1)
- Lehigh scored two runs in the first and the third innings, just one of which was earned.
- Junior Peyton Stephens was hit by a pitch and scored in the third to make it 4-1.
- The Mountain Hawks would add to the lead with a solo homerun by Casey Rother and a two-run homerun by Mike Maguire to push the lead to 7-1.
- Central would mount a rally with a four-run eighth inning. Senior Chris Kanios doubled and scored on a single by senior Chandler Debrosse. Three straight doubles by junior TT Bowens, senior Dave Matthews and senior Buddy Dewaine would account for three more runs to make it 7-5.
- Senior Brandon Fox started and allowed just one earned run in 7.0 innings. He struck out six.
- Bowens and junior Sam Loda each collected two hits for CCSU.
- Five Blue Devils drove in a run in the game.
The Blue Devils play a doubleheader against Lehigh and Pitt on Sunday.