The Central Connecticut football team moved to 4-1 on the season and 1-0 in Northeast Conference play with a 28-3 road victory at Sacred Heart on Saturday. Juniors Tyshaun James and Danley Exilhomme each scored twice and the Blue Devil defense held the high-powered SHU offense in check to give the Blue Devils their third road win of the season. The Pioneers had just 238 yards of total offense, and three points, their lowest point total of the season. They came in averaging 33.5 points per game.
Central's defense allowed a seaosn-low three points in the game, not allowing a touchdown for the first time since Sept. 7, 2018 in a win over Lincoln. SHU's offense came in averaing 443.5 total yards per game, they were held to almost half that total.
Central's offense scored four times, twice on drives after SHU turnovers, and put up 464 yards of total offense in the victory. Senior quarterback Aaron Winchester finished the game 19-of-25 for 275 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed for 62 yards in the victory. The win is the third straight for CCSU on the road at SHU.
Score: Central Connecticut 28, Sacred Heart 3
Records: CCSU (4-1, 1-0 NEC), SHU (3-2, 1-1 NEC)
Location: Campus Field | Fairfield, CT
- "I thought our defense played outstanding," head coach Ryan McCarthy said. "I thought all three phases of the game were great, we played a really complete football game. I don't think we had played all three together to this point, but the defense kept them off the scoreboard. Offensively we controlled the ball, especially in the first half. Always good to get a conference win."
- The Blue Devils' first two drives took 22 plays, 11 minutes and 54 seconds and 130 total yards. They were stopped on a 4th down on their first drive, and scored a TD on their second one.
- CCSU outgained SHU 164-3 in the first quarter.
- A pair of rushing touchdowns by the Blue Devils in the first half gave them a 14-0 lead with 5:00 left in the second quarter. The first came from Exilhomme and the second from James.
- The Blue Devils outgained the Pioneers 248-111 in the first half.
- Central scored twice in the third quarter to pull away. James scored on a 10-yard pass from Winchester. Exilhomme scored on a one-yard run.
- The Blue Devils held the ball for 42 minutes in the game, keeping the SHU offense off the field. The Pioneers had just 18 minutes of possession time in the game.
NUMBER TO KNOW
- 164-3 - CCSU outgained SHU 164-3 in total yards in the first quarter.
- Today marked the 22nd all-time meeting between CCSU and SHU. CCSU now leads the all-time series 13-9.
- The two touchdowns for James give him nine on the season.
- The two interceptions in the game, one from junior Kendall Coles, and one from sophomore Aiden Rosa, give the Blue Devils 11 interceptions in five games this season.
- Exilhomme finished the game with 64 rushing yards and a pair of touchdowns.
- James finished the game with five catches for 74 yards and four rushes for 12 yards, while scoring twice.
- Following next week's road game at Columbia, the Blue Devils will play four of their final six games of the season at home.
The Blue Devils travel to Columbia next Saturday for a 1 p.m. kickoff.