The Central Connecticut football team won it's school-record 10th game of the season, topping Robert Morris 49-28 in New Britain on Saturday afternoon. The win, along with a Duquesne loss at Bryant, gives the Blue Devils the 2019 Northeast Conference Championship. Central is now 10-1 overall on the season and 6-0 in NEC play. The finish the regular season at Duquesne next Saturday at 12 noon.
Senior quarterback Aaron Winchester rushed for four touchdowns and threw for another as the Blue Devils won their seventh straight game and reached 10 wins for the first time in school history. The previous record of nine wins had been accomplished in 1973 and 2009.
The Blue Devils rushed for 389 yards in the game led by 185 yards from junior Danley Exilhomme. Winchester added 91 yards on the ground to go with his four touchdowns. The Blue Devil defense forced four more turnovers, including three interceptions, to give them 18 interceptions on the season. Junior Dexter Lawson, Jr., had two to up his team-lead to six on the season.
The Blue Devils will complete the regular season on the road at Duquesne next Saturday at 12 p.m.
Score: Central Connecticut 49, Robert Morris 28
Records: Central Connecticut (10-1, 6-0 NEC), RMU (6-5, 5-1 NEC)
Location: Arute Field | New Britain, CT
- With the game tied 14-14 at the half, the Blue Devils scored 28 unanswered points to build a 42-14 lead with 10:55 left in the fourth quarter.
- The fifth defensive touchdown of the season for the Blue Devils came at the end of the third quarter when Jahlil Brown recovered a RMU fumble and took it 25-yards for the touchdown.
- Winchester scored on touchdown runs of 2, 10, 2 and 1 yard in the game. He also threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to junior Tyshaun James in the third quarter.
- The Blue Devil offense, which racked up 500 yards of total offense, held the ball for 41 of a possible 60 minutes in the win.
- Brown's interception in the third quarter helped change the tide in the game, leading to a CCSU touchdown on the following drive and a lead they would not relinquish for the remainder of the afternoon.
NUMBER TO KNOW
10 - Central set a program record with 10 wins in a single season.
- The 10th win is a new school-record for the Blue Devils, topping the previous record of nine wins established in 1973 and 2009.
- The trip to the NCAA FCS Playoffs is the second in the last three seasons for the Blue Devils. They also qualified in 2017.
- The four defensive turnovers give the Blue Devils 26 take-aways on the season. They are in the top-5 in the country in defensive turnovers and in turnover margin.
- Central had 29 first downs and their defense held RMU to nine first downs.
- The Blue Devil offense converted on 9-of-14 third downs, good for 64%.
- Central is now 16-2 in its last 18 NEC games.
Central plays its final regular season game at Duquense on Nov. 23 at noon.