Central Connecticut cut a double-digit defict to one in the second half before falling to Maine, 66-64, in men's basketball action on Saturday at Detrick Gymnasium. Freshman Myles Baker scored 13 of his points after halftime for the Blue Devils to finish with a career-high 15 points. CCSU is off for a week until travelling to Boston College on Sunday, Dec. 15.
Baker led four Blue Devils in double-figures. Senior Jamir Coleman and freshman Jamir Reed each added 13 points, while freshman Greg Outlaw had 11 points. CCSU finished the game shooting 36.8% (21-of-57) from the field and 31.6% (6-of-19) from three-point range. Central was 16-of-26 (.615) from the foul line.
Andrew Fleming had a game-high 18 points to pace four Black Bears in double-figures. Maine shot 24-of-53 (.453) from the field and 10-of-29 (.345) from three-point range. Maine was 8-of-16 (.500) from the foul line.
Score: Central Connecticut 64, Maine 66
Records: CCSU (0-9), Maine (3-6)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Senior Jamir Coleman hit his first three shots and had seven points in the early going to have CCSU within a point before Maine scored eight unanswered points and held Central without a field goal for over five minutes to build a 19-10 lead.
- Maine extended its lead to 30-16 after a put back by Nedeljko Prijovic with 5:24 to go in the opening half. The Black Bears outscored CCSU, 19-6, over nearly eight minutes to turn a one-point lead into a 14-point margin.
- Central held the Black Bears scoreless over the final 1:55 of the half and cut the deficit to 36-24 at the intermission.
- CCSU scored the first three points of the second half and a three-pointer by freshman Jamir Reed got the Blue Devils within 38-30 with 17:51 to play.
- The Blue Devils scored nine unanswered points in a two-plus minute span to get within 48-41 following a layup by freshman Xavier Wilson with 12:15 to play.
- Central, which trailed by as many as 16 in the second half, would hold the Black Bears without a field goal over the final 5:15. The Blue Devils scored nine straight points and got within 63-61 after a three-pointer by Baker. Following two foul shots, Baker would hit another trey to cut the deficit to 65-64 with 0:12 to play. After Maine hit 1-of-2 foul shots, CCSU had a chance to set up a final shot with :07 remaining, but it was blocked as time expired.
NUMBER TO KNOW
15 - Central forced 15 turnovers and had a 14-10 advantage in points off turnovers. CCSU has had a positive turnover margin in three straight games.
- Maine leads the all-time series, 11-6, and snapped a three-game skid in the series.
- Central had four players in double-figures for the first time this season.
- Baker finished 5-of-15 from the field, 3-of-7 on three-pointers, to set his career-high.
- Reed matched a personal-high and was 3-of-10 from the field, 2-of-6 from the arc, and made 5-of-7 at the foul line.
- Wilson led all players, grabbing a career-high eight rebounds.
- Coleman finished 4-of-4 from the field and has made five straight over the last two games. He is 16-of-20 from the field in the last two games.
- Maine held a slim, 36-33, edge in rebounding.
- CCSU, which ranks fourth in the Northeast Conference in steals, had six steals - the sixth time this season with six or more steals.
CCSU is off for a week until travelling to Boston College on Sunday, Dec. 15.