The Central Connecticut men's basketball team dropped its Northeast Conference opener to Robert Morris, 87-78, on Thursday night at Detrick Gym. The Colonials made 14 three-pointers on the night to provide the difference in the game. Central hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday, Jan. 4 for a 3:30 p.m. tipoff.
Sophomore Ian Krishnan scored a team-high 20 points, while freshman Greg Outlaw added 15 and rookie Jamir Reed finished with 14 points. Central shot 28-of-63 (.444) for the game and was 7-of-23 (.304) from three-point range, while going 15-of-19 (.789) at the foul line.
Robert Morris shot 32-of-61 (.525) overall and was 14-of-30 (.467) on threes, while going 11-of-14 (.786) at the foul line. RMU outrebounded CCSU 38-26. Josh Williams led five in double-figures with 20 points.
Score: Central Connecticut 78, Robert Morris 87
Records: CCSU (1-13, 0-1 NEC), RMU (5-9, 1-0 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Both teams started the game strong offensively going a combined 12-of-20. The Colonials held an early 17-14 lead at the first media timeout.
- The Colonials hit 7-of-9 from the three-point arc to start the game and took a 35-27 lead following Jon Williams' trifecta with just over 8:00 to go in the opening period.
- RMU built a 12-point lead with under a minute to play in the opening period, outscoring CCSU 15-8 during an eight-minute span. Freshman Myles Baker hit a jumper in the corner just before halftime to make it 47-37 at the intermission.
- The Blue Devils scored six points in the opening 1:30 of the second half to make its run 8-0 and cut the RMU lead to 47-43 after sophomore Ian Krishnan had a layup underneath.
- Robert Morris came back with 10 straight points to extend its lead to 59-45 with 15:33 to play. The Colonials would build their largest lead of the game with 8:11 to play after back-to-back three-pointers by Josh and Jon Williams to make it 71-55.
- CCSU managed to get within 85-78 with 0:29 to play but the Colonials hit four foul shots to close it out.
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 - Central had seven steals and was +4 in turnovers on the game.
- Robert Morris leads the all-time series, 25-18. The Blue Devils won last season's second meeting in the teams, 77-68.
- Krishnan was 6-of-16 from the field and made two three-poitners, while going 6-of-6 at the foul line in 29 minutes.
- Outlaw was 7-of-10 from the field and added a team-high 3 assists in the game.
- Central had a +4 turnover margin in the game, and has a positive margin in three of the last four games.
- The Blue Devils collected 7 steals, the ninth game of the season with six or more more. Outlaw had three.
- Junior Stephane Ayangma had a team-high seven rebounds with five points and two blocked shots.
Central hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday, Jan. 4 for a 3:30 p.m. tipoff.