The Central Connecticut men's basketball fell at Mount St. Mary's, 79-52, in Knott Arena on Saturday in Northeast Conference play. Freshman Jamir Reed led the Blue Devils with 12 points. CCSU fall to 1-18 overall and 0-6 in league play, while Mount is 7-11 overall and 3-2 in NEC play.
Reed was the only scorer in double-figures as CCSU was 16-of-51 (.314) from the field and 3-of-9 (.333) from three-point range. Central was 17-of-21 (.810) at the line, but was outrebounded 42-30 and outscored 20-2 off turnovers.
Malik Jefferson had a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds, while Jalen Gibbs scored a game-high 20. The Mountaineers were 29-of-60 (.483) from the field and 11-of-30 (.367) from the arc, while going 10-of-14 (.714) at the foul line.
CCSU travels to Fairleigh Dickinson on Monday for a 3:30 p.m. tipoff.
Score: Central Connecticut 52, Mount St. Mary's 79
Records: CCSU (1-18, 0-6 NEC), MOUNT (7-11, 3-2 NEC)
Location: Knott Arena | Emmitsburg, MD
- Mount St. Mary's built a double-digit lead midway through the opening half after outscoring CCSU 12-3 during a four-minute stretch. The Mountaineers then used a 10-2 run to stretch the lead to 39-19 after a three-pointer by Vado Morse.
- Central had just one field goal in the final 6:37 of the opening half and trailed 42-21 at halftime. Mount shot 17-of-32 (.531) in the first half, while limiting CCSU to 8-of-23 (.348) shooting and forcing nine turnovers.
- The Mountaineers pushed the lead to 57-30 after an 8-0 run was capped by a Gibbs three-pointer and forced a CCSU timeout at 14:30
- CCSU limited Mount to one field goal over a 4:45 span in the second half and got within 61-41 following two foul shots by Reed, but they would get no closer as the Mountaineers scored five straight.
NUMBER TO KNOW
13 - The Mountaineers turned 13 CCSU turnovers into a 20-2 advantage in point off turnovers.
- Mount leads the all-time series, 23-22. Central had won two of the last three meetings at Knott Arena prior to Saturday.
- Reed hit two three-pointers and was 3-for-7 from the field overall.
- Freshman Greg Outlaw added nine points, three rebounds and two steals.
- Freshman Xavier Wilson had a team-high six rebounds and added three blocked shots.
- In conference play, CCSU is shooting 77.3% at the foul line
Central returns to action on Monday, Jan. 20, with a 3:30 p.m. game at Fairleigh Dickinson.