The Central Connecticut men's basketball fell at Fairleigh Dickinson in Northeast Conference play, 83-60, on Monday at the Rothman Center. Freshman Xavier Wilson matched a career-high with 12 points to pace three Blue Devils in double-figures. CCSU fall to 1-19 overall and 0-7 in league play, while FDU is 4-13 overall and 2-4 in NEC play.
Sophomore Ian Krishnan added 11 points, while freshman Myles Baker had 10 for CCSU wwhich shot 21-of-60 (.350) overall. The Blue Devils were 6-of-22 (.273) from the arc and 12-of-21 (.571) at the foul line.
Xzavier Malone-Key led all scorers with 23 points. The Knights were 31-of-58 (.534) overall and 11-of-22 (.500) from the arc. FDU shot 53.8 percent overall (14-of-26) and was 8-of-13 (.615) from the arc in the first period to bubild a double-digit lead. FDU outrebounded CCSU, 42-36
Central is back at home on Thursday, Jan. 23, when it hosts Sacred Heart in a 7:00 p.m. game.
Score: Central Connecticut 60, Fairleigh Dickinson 83
Records: CCSU (1-19, 0-7 NEC), FDU (4-13, 2-4 NEC)
Location: Rothman Center | Hackensack, NJ
- Central led 13-9 after a layup by freshman Xavier Wilson, but the Knights would outscore the Blue Devils, 18-4, over an eight-minute span. The lead for FDU grew to 26-15 after an 11-0 run capped off by eight straight from Devon Dunn with 6:59 to go in the half.
- Senior Jamir Coleman would account for six straight points for the Blue Devils and his two foul shots with 2:41 to go in the half would cut the CCSU deficit to single digits. The Knights would push the lead back to double-digits and lead at the intermission, 40-29.
- The CCSU deficit grew to 18 points early in the second half before a quick 6-1 run cut the FDU lead to 50-37 after a three-pointer by freshman Jamir Reed.
- The Blue Devils scored four straight on a layup by junior Stephane Ayangma and a layup by freshman Xavier Wilson to get within 59-49 midway through the half. The Knights came back with five straight and the lead eventually grew to 67-51 after a three-pointer by Xzavier Malone-Key and Central would be unable to get any closer. The Knights would close the game, scoring the final six points to settle the final score.
NUMBER TO KNOW
10 - Central had 10 steals in the game, its third contest with 10+ steals this season.
- FDU leads the all-time series, 27-19. CCSU last won in the series on Jan. 10, 2019, defeating the Knights 103-96 in double-overtime at the Rothman Center.
- Wilson was 5-of-9 from the floor and 1-of-2 from three-point range.
- Junior Stephane Ayangma grabbed a team-high eight rebounds to go with seven points.
- Four Blue Devils had two steals with sophomore Zach Newkirk and freshman Jamir Reed each matching personal-highs with two.
- CCSU forced FDU into 15 turnovers but managed to convert those into just four points.
Central is back at home on Thursday, Jan. 23, when it hosts Sacred Heart.