The Central Connecticut men's basketball lost to Sacred Heart, 82-54, in Northeast Conference play on Thursday at Detrick Gymnasium Freshman Xavier Wilson scored a career-high 13 points to lead the Blue Devils in scoring, while sophomore Ian Krishnan added 12 points. CCSU fell to 1-20 overall and 0-8 in league play, while SHU is 11-9 overall and 4-3 in NEC play.
Central shot just 18-of-56 (.321) overall in the game and was 5-of-15 from three-point range, while going 13-of-21 (.619) at the foul line. The Blue Devils were limited to just six field goals and 18 points in the opening period as the Pioneers built all the cushion they would need.
E.J. Anosike led five Pioneers in double-figures with a 16-point, 12-rebound night. SHU shot 27-of-56 (.482) overall and was 10-of-20 (.500) on three-pointers, while converting 18-of-22 (.818) at the foul line. The Pioneers held a 42-28 rebounding edge.
CCU will host Wagner on Saturday. The men's game will tip off at 3:30 p.m.
Score: Central Connecticut 54, Sacred Heart 82
Records: CCSU (1-20, 0-8 NEC), SHU (11-9, 4-3 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Central would score five straight points to take a 9-7 lead following a jumper by Wilson just three minutes into the game. Sacred Heart would answer with a 13-0 run, holding the Blue Devils scoreless for just over five minutes to go ahead 20-9 and take control of the game. Sophomore Thai Segwai hit a floater to interrupt the run but SHU scored six straight to push the lead to 33-13, and would hold Central without a field goal for over eight minutes.
- Wilson would end the Blue Devils' field goal drought but SHU scored the final eight points of the period to go into the half with a 45-18 lead.
- The Pioneers scored the first seven points of the second half to extend the lead. A layup by sophomore Zach Newkirk and a three-pointer by freshman Jamir Reed made it 55-26 with 15:56 to play, but the Pioneers responded with five unanswered points to rebuild the margin.
- A 10-2 spurt by Central, bookended by a pair of three-pointers by sophomore Ian Krishnan would make it 74-47 with 4:21 to play. CCSU would get no closer than 79-54 after a layup by junior Stephane Ayangma with 1:18 to play before SHU scored the final three points.
NUMBER TO KNOW
4 - Wilson had a career-high four blocked shots in the game for CCSU, while Krishnan hit four three-pointers.
- CCSU leads the all-time series, 37-31, but Sacred Heart has won 10 straight meetings.
- The Blue Devils were held to a season-low 23.1 percent (6-of-26) shooting in the first half and matched a season-low with 18 points.
- With eight steals, Central posted its 11th game with seven or more steals. Wilson, and freshmen Myles Baker and Jamir Reed each had two steals.
- Wilson was 7-of-11 at the foul line in the game. Wilson added a career-high four blocked shots.
- Krishnan was 4-of-5 on three-pointers in the game.
- Junior Stephane Ayangma grabbed a team-high five rebounds.
- Central had a +2 advantage in turnovers, forcing 16 Pioneer turnovers.
Central is home against Wagner on Saturday, Jan. 25.