The Central Connecticut men's basketball team fell to LIU, 90-74, on Thursday night at Detrick Gymnasium in Northeast Conference action. The Blue Devils trailed by just three points at halftime, but were unable to keep up with the Sharks in the second half despite freshman Jamir Reed scoring a career-high 21 points on seven three-pointers. Central falls to 2-24 overall and 1-12 in the NEC, while LIU goes to 12-13 overall and 7-5 in the NEC.
Sophomore Ian Krishnan added 17 points and freshman Trey Tennyson finished with 10 points. CCSU shot 29-of-74 overall (.392) and was 13-of-25 (.520) from three-point range. The Blue Devils went 3-for-3 at the foul line.
Central shot 27-of-65 (.415) from the field and was 4-of-17 (.235) from the three-point arc. CCCSU was just 2-of-4 (.500) at the foul line and was outrebounded, 50-45.
Raiquan Clark led LIU with 22 points, while Ty Flowers (21 points, 13 rebounds) and Jashaun Agosto (14 points, 10 rebounds) each added a double-double. The Sharks shot 30-of-57 (.526) overall in the game and 13-of-25 (.520) from three-point range. LIU was 17-of-20 (.850) from the foul line and outrebounded CCSU, 38-35.
Central is home for Alumni Day on Saturday against Bryant. The men's game will tip off at 3:30 p.m.
Score: Central Connecticut 74, LIU 90
Records: CCSU (2-24, 1-12 NEC), LIU (12-13, 7-5 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Central hit four straight three-pointers in the first half to stay close to LIU. Sophomore Zach Newkirk made it 24-21 with 10:59 left, before Reed hit back-to-back three-pointers. Krishnan hit a trey at the 8:31 mark to get CCSU within 31-30.
- Freshman Trey Tennyson would make a layup to get CCSU within 43-42 with 0:19 to go in the first half, but LIU led 45-42 at halftime. The Blue Devils would be held without a field goal until 16:32 remained in the game following a three-pointer by Reed.
- The Sharks scored the first seven points of the second half and outscored CCSU, 23-6, over an eight minute span to open up a 68-48 lead following a foul shot by Clark with 11:54 to play.
- Central would follow with seven straight points after layups from senior Jamir Coleman and freshman Xavier Wilson. A three-pointer by Tennyson capped the run to make it 68-55 with 10:22 to play, but Central would be unable to get any closer.
- LIU pushed the lead to as much as 90-66 with 1:42 left before CCSU scored the final eight points.
NUMBER TO KNOW
6 - Freshman Jamir Reed made his first six three-point attempts in the game. He finished the game 7-of-8 from the arc.
- LIU leads the all-time series, 27-21, and won both meetings this season. The Sharks have won the last five meetings, CCSU last won in the series on Jan. 20, 2018, 72-63.
- Central made 6-of-7 from the arc to begin the game and connected a season-high 13 three-pointers.
- The CCSU bench outscored LIU's, 43-19. The Blue Devils' reserves have outscored their opponents' in five straight games by a 186-80 margin.
- Reed and Coleman each grabbed a team-high eight rebounds for Central.
- The Blue Devils shot 17-of-34 (.500) from the field and 8-of-12 (.667) from the arc in the first half. LIU was 17-of-29 (.586) overall and 7-of-11 (.636) from three-point range.
Central is home for Alumni Day on Saturday against Bryant.