Senior Eddie Yepes scored two second half goals, but the Central Connecticut men's soccer team fell at Mount St. Mary's, 3-2, on Friday at Waldron Family Stadium in Emmitsburg, MD. The Blue Devils mounted a late charge, but were unable to find the back of the net for the game-tying goal. CCSU travels to Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday.
Score: Central Connecticut 2, Mount St. Mary's 3
Records: Central Connecticut (0-9-1, 0-4 NEC), Mount (5-5, 2-1)
Location: Waldron Family Stadium | Emmitsburg, MD
- Mount St. Mary's scored a pair of goals in a span of a minute to take a 2-0 lead. Yann Kouemi accounted for both Mount goals in the 10th and 11th minutes.
- Marcos Lucero pushed the Mountaineers' goal to 3-0 just before halftime off an assist by Kouemi.
- With 21 minutes to play, Yepes had back-to-back shots saved that would've cut the deficit to one goal.
- Yepes scored his second of the night with just over nine minutes left when he converted a penalty kick.
- Sophomore Sean Gannon hit a bending, left-footed shot with just under four minutes remaining that rattled the goalpost.
NUMBER TO KNOW
2 – Yepes notched a goal for CCSU in the second straight game and has three goals in the last two games.
- CCSU Men's Soccer is celebrating its 50th season of varsity competition in 2019.
- The Blue Devils have lost two straight to the Mount, but are 8-5 overall in the series dating back to 2002.
- Yepes (3 G, 3 A) leads the Blue Devils in scoring on the year. He had eight shots in the game, including four on goal.
- Central held a 14-8 margin in shots in the game and a 2-1 edge in corner kicks.
- Sophomore Jason Dubrovich maded two saves for Central.
Central Connecticut plays at Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday for a 6:00 p.m. kickoff.