The Central Connecticut men's indoor track and field team won three events on Saturday and placed fourth in the team standings at the 2020 Northeast Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships. Seniors Edwin Alston (60 meter hurdles), Richard Grudzwick (800 meter) and Alex Norstrom (5,000 meter run) all claimed gold on the second day of the championships to lead the Blue Devils.
Central placed fourth in the team standings with 88 points. Wagner won the team championship with 143.50 points.
Meet: 2020 Northeast Conference Championship
Location: Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex - Staten Island, NY
KEY PERFORMANCES | FINAL RESULTS
- Seniors Edwin Alston and Quincy Sanchez opened the day, claiming gold and bronze in the 60 meter hurdles. Alston won with a time of 8.10, while Sanchez finished in 8.15 to claim third.
- Senior Richard Grudzwick won gold in the 800 meter, narrowly edging LIU's Kasique Oliver. Grudzwick finished in 1:52.48, just .01 ahead of Oliver.
- Seniors Alex Norstrom and Roberto Piotto took gold and silver in the men's 5,000 meter run. Norstrom won comfortably with a time of 14:37.41, while Piotto finished in 14:44.80. Freshman Elias Field also scored for CCSU, placing eighth with a time of 15:12.05.
- Junior Miles Fye-Moore scored points in two events for Central on Saturday. He took bronze in the 200 meter dash, turning in a time of 21.66. He also placed sixth in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.04.
- Senior Kevorni Welsh placed fifth in the triple jump with a leap of 14.46 meters.
- Senior Andrew Findley placed fifth in the 500 meter final with a time of 1:04.30 to score points for Central.
- Junior Gordon Perrett scored in the pole vault with a height of 3.80 meters.
- Central placed third in the DMR and fourth in the 4x400 relay. Senior Julio Arredondo, Fye-Moore, Findley and Grudzwick finished in 10:15.28 in the DMR. Junior Darius Wise and sophomores Jason Walton and Cam Whalen and Hank Jean-Jacques finished in 3:21.04 in the 4x400 to win their section.
The BU Last Chance Qualifier is on Friday, Feb. 28, and the IC4A/ECAC Championships are March 6-8.