The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell to Pittsburgh 81-73 Monday night in the Petersen Events Center. Three players dropped double-figures and junior Ashley Berube led the Blue Devils with 18 points (8-10 FG) and five rebounds. Classmate Ashley Forker dropped a career-high 15 points after shotting 5-7 from behind the arc.
CCSU had a 17-point lead at the halftime break after shooting 58.1% from the floor including 66.7% from behind the arc. The team shared the ball well totaling 22 assists on 26 made field goals. A 24-5 run by the Panthers during the third shifted the momentum as Central made just eight baskets in the second half.
Score: Central Connecticut 73, Pittsburgh 81
Records: Central Connecticut (0-2, 0-0 NEC), Pittsburgh (1-1, 0-0 ACC)
Location: Petersen Events Center - Pittsburgh, PA
"Our shooting percentage was amazing in the first half, but they applied a little pressure in the third and it took us out of the flow of our game. There are some big highlights in the stats, we had four players hit double digits and we had 22 assists which is awesome," said head coach Beryl Piper.
- Junior center Ashley Berube got the Blue Devils off to a hot start connecting on 5-of-7 shots in the first half.
- The team went on a 15-2 run in the first quarter leading by as much as 13 (24-11) in the opening 10 minutes.
- CCSU had a 47-32 halftime lead shooting 58.1% (18-31) from the floor including 10-15 (66.7%) from deep.
- The Panthers went on a 24-5 run in the third to tie the game 56-56 with 1:24 to play.
- Central trailed by just four (71-67) with 4:02 left to play, but Pitt shot 11-13 from the charity stripe in the fourth to take the win.
NUMBER TO KNOW
22 – Central had 22 assists on 26 made field goals.
- Berube finished with 18 points and five rebounds shooting 8-10 from the floor.
- For the second straight game senior Ashley Chin post double-figures (12pts, 3reb).
- Junior Ashley Forker scored a career-high 15 points shooting 5-7 from three-point range. She also had four rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- The Blue Devils shot an impressive 48.3% (14-29) from three.
- The team had 22 assists on 26 made field goals.
- Aysia Bugg scored a career-high 26 points for the Panthers.
Central plays Brown on Thursday for its home-opener at 7 p.m.