The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell short to UMass Lowell 56-54 on Thursday night in Detrick Gymnasium. Junior Ashley Forker found classmate Ashley Berube on the block to tie the game at 54 with 12.4 seconds left on the clock, but the River Hawks hit an elbow jumper with less than two seconds left to earn the win.
Berube finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds, her second double-double of the season. Forker dished a career-high 10 assists and scored 12 points. Sophomore Danielle Delano scored a career-high 11 points including 3-7 shooting from three-point range.
The Blue Devils fall to 0-7 on the year as UMass Lowell earns its second win and improves to 2-7. The game had seven lead changes and was tied seven times. Central won the battle of the boards 39-32 and had 18 assists on 21 made field goals.
Score: Central Connecticut 54, UMass Lowell 56
Records: Central Connecticut (0-7), UMass Lowell (2-7)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium - New Britain, CT
- The game started off slow offensively with Central having just a 4-2 lead at the first media timeout with 4:58 on the clock. The teams traded baskets and the River Hawks had a slight 15-13 lead at the end of the first.
- Sophomore Forever Toppin drilled two shots from behind the arc in the second quarter. Central outscored UMass Lowell 16-9 in the quarter and entered the halftime break with a 29-24 lead.
- The Blue Devils went on a 10-2 run out of the halftime break to take its largest lead of the game 39-26.
- The River Hawks tied the game 44-44 on jumper by Kaylen Banwareesingh with 4:41 left in the game.
- Trailing by two, Forker found Berube on the block to tie the game 54-54 with 12.4 seconds left in regulation.
- Ren'Cia Rolling hit the game-winning basket with less than two second left on the clock.
NUMBER TO KNOW
10 - Ashley Forker dished 10 of Central's 18 assists.
- Tonight's game marks the final home game of the calendar year for the Blue Devils. Central closes out the year on a four-game road series.
- Ashley Forker dished a career-high 10 assists.
- Ashley Berube posted her second double-double of the season (19pts, 10rebs).
- Danielle Delano scored a career-high 11 points shooting 3-7 from three-point range.
Central closes out the year on a four game road series starting at New Hampshire on Sunday at 1 p.m.