The Central Connecticut women's basketball team earned its first win of the season 61-54 over Hartford on Saturday inside Chase Arena in West Hartford, CT. The victory marks the 150th career win for head coach Beryl Piper.
Junior Ashley Berube led Central with a season-high 25 points, shooting 8-16 from the floor and a perfect 8-8 from the foul line. Classmate Ashley Forker posted her second double-double of the year with 16 points and 13 rebounds, along with six assists.
The Hawks trailed by three with 50 seconds to play. Central went 6-8 from the foul line in the last 18 seconds to take the win. The Blue Devils close the non-conference slate 1-10, while Hartford falls to 0-12.
Score: Central Connecticut 61, Hartford 54
Records: CCSU (1-10), UHart (0-12)
Location: Chase Arena - West Hartford, CT
- Hartford scored two quick baskets then Central followed with a 10-0 run to lead 11-4 early in the opening quarter.
- The Hawks cut the lead to three (24-21) with 4:23 to play in the first half, but a three a Danielle Delano pushed it back to six.
- Right after checking in for the first time, Tiffany Slicklein drained a three-pointer from the wing to extend the lead 32-23 late in the second quarter.
- Hartford closed the half with a 7-0 run and giving Central just a two-point lead going into the halftime break.
- CCSU scored six-straight out of the halftime break with baskets by Ashley Berube and Emma McCamus. The Hawks didn't score their first field goal until the 5:55 mark in the third.
- Hartford went on a 10-0 run to take their first lead of the game since the first quarter, 40-38 with 3:03 to play in the third.
- During the final six minutes, Berube scored nine-straight for CCSU. The team went 6-8 from the foul line in the last 20 seconds to earn the win.
- Central totaled 15 assists on 18 made field goals.
- Ashley Berube was one-point shy of matching her career-high. She finished with 25 points, eight rebounds and one block.
- Ashley Forker posted her second double-double of the season finishing with 16 points, 13 rebounds and six assists.
- Berube and Forker combined for a perfect 17-17 from the foul line.
- CCSU shot 21-25 (84.0 percent) from the foul line against the Hawks.
NUMBER TO KNOW
150 - The win marks the 150th career win for head coach Beryl Piper.
Following the New Year, Central opens Northeast Conference play hosting Robert Morris on Thursday, Jan. 2 and Saint Francis U. on Saturday Jan. 4.