The Central Connecticut women's basketball team dropped its conference opener 86-56 to Robert Morris on Thursday night in Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, CT. The team shot an impressive 23-28 (.821) from the foul line.
Junior Emma McCamus led the Blue Devils with 13 points, three rebounds, and two assists, shooting 9-10 (.900) from the foul line. Classmate Ashley Berube hit double-digits with 12 points shooting 4-of-6 from the floor. CCSU falls to 1-11 on the season and 0-1 in NEC play, while RMU improves to 6-6 on the year and 1-0 in league.
Score: Central Connecticut 56, Robert Morris 86
Records: CCSU (1-11, 0-1 NEC), RMU (6-6, 1-0 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium - New Britain, CT
- RMU went on a 9-0 run in the opening quarter and led 23-15 at the end of the first.
- CCSU cut the lead to four (27-23) going on an 8-4 run midway through the second.
- Central entered halftime trailing 43-28 and shot 16-18 (88.9 percent) from the foul line in the first half.
- Out of the halftime break, Emma McCamus stole the ball and found Ashley Forker for the transition layup. Two possessions later McCamus made another steal and finished herself.
- The Colonials went on a 15-3 run in the fourth to gain their largest lead of the game.
- Central shot 82.1 percent (23-28) from the foul line. This is the sixth game this season they have shot 80 percent or better from the charity stripe.
- Emma McCamus hit double-digits for the sixth time this season finishing with 13 points.
- Ashley Berube also scored double-figures (12). This is the seventh time this season she's scored 12 or more in a game.
- The Blue Devils had 10 assists on 16 made field goals.
- Sophomore Forever Toppin matched her career-high nine points.
NUMBER TO KNOW
23 - Central sank 23 of 28 freethrows.
Central hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday, Jan. 4 at 1 p.m. in game one of a double-header with the men's team.