The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell to Sacred Heart 66-58 Wednesday afternoon inside the Pitt Center in Fairfield, CT. Junior Ashley Berube led the Blue Devils with 16 points and a career-high 18 rebounds, putting her tied for fifth in the record books for most rebounds in a single game. She shot .500 percent (8-16) from the floor.
CCSU led for 25:23 of the game and had a 12 point lead with 7:21 to play in the third, but the Pioneers shot 46.2 percent (6-13) from three in the second half to battle back and earn the win. Adrianne Hagood had 18 points for the Pioneers.
Score: Central Connecticut 58, Sacred Heart 66
Records: CCSU (1-13, 0-3 NEC), SHU (6-8, 3-0 NEC)
Location: Pitt Center - Fairfield, CT
- Emma McCamus opened scoring for Central with a three-pointer from the wing.
- Ashley Berube connected on 4-6 shots from the floor in the opening minutes. She scored eight of Central's 17 first quarter points.
- The Blue Devils went on an 11-5 run in the second to take a 28-20 lead.
- CCSU shot 53.8 percent (14-26) in the first half, while SHU was just 31.1 percent (11-35) from the floor.
- Central held the Pioneers scoreless for the first four minutes of the third, but SHU rallied back hitting three shots from deep to cut the lead 46-44 heading into the final quarter.
- A three by Allyson Murphy with 8:40 left in the game gave Sacred Heart its first lead since 2:23 in the first quarter (13-11).
- Ashley Berube scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds, along with four blocks. She is tied for fifth in the record books for most rebounds in a single game.
- Ten different Blue Devils scored and five players had six or more points.
- Central won the battle of the boards 39 to 37.
NUMBER TO KNOW
18 - Ashley Berube had a career-high 18 rebounds.
Central Connecticut hosts Merrimack on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 1 p.m.