The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell to the Merrimack Warriors 65-56 on Saturday inside Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, CT. Junior Ashley Berube led the Blue Devils with 20 points, five rebounds and three blocks. The teams falls to 1-14 on the year and 0-4 in conference while Merrimack improves to 9-6 and 2-2 in league.
The Blue Devils opened the game connecting on nine of its first 14 shots (.643) leading by as much as 14 (21-7) in the opening quarter. The Warriors responded with a 13-point run of its own to cut the lead to one by the end of the first.
Central was scoreless for over five minutes until senior Ashley Chin sank a baseline jumper for the first basket of the second quarter. The Blue Devils held a slight 34-32 halftime lead after an almost even first half. Central shot 46.9 percent (15-32) and the Warriors were 40.6 percent (13-32) from the floor in the first 20 minutes of action.
Momentum shifted to the Warriors as they opened the third quarter with a 12-3 taking a 44-37 lead with 5:57 to play. After missing four shots from behind the arc, the Blue Devils shot a perfect 3-3 from deep in the third. Merrimack took advantage of fouls scoring eight of its 12 fourth quarter points from the foul line to secure the win.
Score: Central Connecticut 56, Merrimack 65
Records: CCSU (1-14, 0-4 NEC), Merrimack (9-6, 2-2 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium - New Britain, CT
- The Blue Devils went on an 15-2 run to take a 21-7 lead with 3:04 to play in the first quarter.
- The first quarter ended with a 13-point run by the Warriors, led by Kate Marger who sank three shots from deep.
- Ashley Berube had a strong first quarter shooting 4-6 from the floor for nine points.
- Central went scoreless for over five minutes until Ashley Chin drilled a baseline jumper at 7:54 in the second quarter.
- The Warriors went on a 12-3 run out of the halftime gate. The points for Central came off a three scored by Ashley Forker.
- The Blue Devils had no three-point baskets in the first half, but shot a perfect 3-3 from behind the arc in the third.
- Today marks the second 20+ point game for Ashley Berube. She has scored double-figures in the past six games.
- As a team, the Blue Devils had 21 assists on 24 made field goals.
- The Blue Devils outscored the Warriors 24-16 in the paint and won the battle of the boards 43-41.
- Bruna Vila Artituges dished a season-high six assists and grabbed a career-high seven rebounds. Danielle Delano also finished with a career-high seven boards.
- Emma McCamus finished with a career-high five assists.
NUMBER TO KNOW
21 - Central had 21 assists on 24 made baskets. Three players had five or more assists.
The Blue Devils start a three-game road series at LIU Brooklyn on Monday, Jan. 13.