The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell short to the LIU Sharks 63-61 on Monday night in Brooklyn, NY. Juniors Ashley Forker and Ashley Berube each had 16 points and eight rebounds for Central.
Trailing by six with 3:27 to play, Forker went 2-4 from the foul line to put Central within four. The Blue Devils held the Sharks from scoring a field goal in the final minutes, but went 2-7 on the offensive end to close the game. Forker hit a three to put the Blue Devils down two with 31.5 seconds left, but the Sharks were able to hold on to take the win.
Score: Central Connecticut 61, LIU 63
Records: CCSU (1-15, 0-5 NEC), LIU (3-12, 2-2 NEC)
Location: Steinberg Wellness Center - Brooklyn, NY
- The Blue Devils opened the game shooting 4-6 from the floor. Ashley Berube was a perfect 3-3 on the block to start the game. Central held a slight 12-11 lead at the first media timeout.
- Forever Toppin had a steal and found Tiffany Slicklein running in transition to finish at the rim.
- The teams continued to trade baskets for the rest of the opening quarter and the Blue Devils held a two-point lead (19-17) and shot .500 percent (8-16) at the end of the first.
- Over a 4:30 span, the Sharks went on a 10-2 run to take a 25-21 lead with 6:55 to play in the second.
- The Sharks went over five minutes without scoring as Central went on a 9-0 run with four straight points coming from Jamey Napoleon giving the Blue Devils its largest lead of the game (34-27).
- The Sharks took a six-point lead, 51-44, after going on a 9-2 run with 3:03 to play in the third.
- Toppin drained a jumper right before the buzzer to put the Blue Devils down six heading into the final 10 minutes of play.
- LIU pushed the lead to 10 midway through the fourth as Central went without a basket for 5:02.
NUMBER TO KNOW
28 - Central outscored LIU 28-24 off points in the paint.
- Ashley Berube and Ashley Forker each finished two rebounds shy of posting double-doubles (16 pts, 8 rebs).
- Forever Toppin matched her career-high in assists (4) and steals (3) in the first half.
- Jamey Napoleon sank two free throws tonight, putting her at 15-16 (.934 percent) on the season.
The Blue Devils continue on the road at Mount St. Mary's on January 18 and Fairleigh Dickinson on January 20. Both games are scheduled for 1 p.m. and are double-headers with the Central men's basketball team.