The Central Connecticut women's basketball team held off Wagner for a 66-63 win on Saturday afternoon at Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, CT. The Blue Devils led by as many as 13 in the third quarter before scoring the final four points to pull out the win. Junior Ashley Forker led the way with 23 points, while Ashley Berube and Emma McCamus each added 12 points.
Central improved to 2-17 overall and 1-7 in Northeast Conference play, while Wagner is 6-12 and 2-5. Emilija Krista Grava scored a game-high 35 points to lead Wagner.
Score: Central Connecticut 66, Wagner 63
Records: CCSU (2-17, 1-7 NEC), Wagner (6-12, 2-5 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT
- Wagner limited Central to just 3-of-13 shooting (.231) in the first quarter to build a 17-12 lead.
- The Blue Devils scored the first six points of the second quarter to take a one-point lead on a jumper by junior Ashley Berube. The Sehawks regained the lead with a 7-0 run holding Central scoreless for over two minutes.
- Senior Ashley Chin scored back-to-back layups off of steals to give the Blue Devils a 28-26 lead. CCSU would score 13 unanswered points, with junior Ashley Forker scoring the final seven points to give CCSU a 35-26 lead at the half.
- CCSU scored the first four points of the third quarter to build a 39-26 lead before Wagner managed to end a five-minute scoreless drought to get back within eight points.
- Wagner scored five straight points to cut the Central lead to 49-47 in the opening moments of the fourth quarter, but could not get closer until Khaleah Edwards hit a three-pointer with just over a minute left to make it 62-61. The Seahawks scored with 22.3 to play to go ahead 63-62.
- Ashley Berube hit two foul shots with 14 seconds left to put CCSU ahead by one. Forker added two free throws with six seconds left for the final margin.
- Berube has scored in double-figures in 10 straight games and 14 times this season.
- Forker scored in double-figures for the 10th game. She added four assists.
- McCamus scored double-figures for the 8th time.
- McCamus and Forever Toppin each had four steals.
- CCSU was 18-of-19 from the free throw line.
NUMBER TO KNOW
22 - CCSU forced 22 turnovers on the Seahawks.
The Blue Devils host Sacred Heart on Monday night at 7:00 p.m.