The Central Connecticut women's basketball team fell at Wagner, 63-56, on Friday at the Spiro Sports Center. The Blue Devils led by eight at halftime, but the Seahawks shot 50 percent after halftime to rally. Junior Ashley Berube scored a team-high 16 points and junior Emma McCamus added 12 points.
Score: Central Connecticut 56, Wagner 63
Records: CCSU (2-24, 1-14 NEC), Wagner (9-16, 5-9 NEC)
Location: Spiro Sports Center - Staten Island, NY
- Junior Ashley Forker scored a jumper at the buzzer to tie the game at 16-16 after the first quarter.
- CCSU held Wagner scoreless for over three minutes and outscored the Seahawks, 10-2, to build a 27-20 lead in the second quarter. Berube hit a layup to give the Blue Devils a seven-point lead at the 5:46 mark. Sophomore Forever Toppin would make a three-pointer with just over a minute to go in the half to make it 37-29 at the intermission.
- Khaleah Edwards hit a three-pointer and Janelle Mullen followed with a layup to give Wagner its first lead of the second half at 44-43 with 2:07 left in the third quarter. Junior Jewel Porter answered with back-to-back buckets to give Central a 47-44 lead heading to the fourth quarter.
- The game was tied 56-56 with 1:22 to play, but Wagner would score the final seven points for the win. Wagner was 5-of-6 (.833) from the field and 9-of-10 (.900) at the foul line in the fourth quarter.
- Emilija Krista Grava led Wagner with a game-high 21 points, Mullen added 20 points.
- CCSU outscored Wagner, 32-26, in points in the paint. The Seahawks forced 17 turnovers and had a 20-6 edge in points off turnovers.
- Berube added a game-high eight rebounds. Forker, McCamus and junior Tiffany Slicklein all had four assists.
NUMBER TO KNOW
30 - CCSU outrebounded Wagner 30-26.
Women's basketball plays on the road at Merrimack on Feb. 29.