The Central Connecticut women's soccer team fell 2-1 to Albany Sunday afternoon in Albany, NY. The Great Danes entered the halftime break with a one goal lead and scored again early in the second half. Sophomore Roma McLaughlin scored her second goal of the season off a penalty kick to cut into the lead, but the Great Danes held on to pull out the win.
Score: Central Connecticut 1, Albany 2
Record: CCSU (1-2-1), Albany (1-3-0)
Location: Albany, NY
"We didn't play with the same energy as we did in our first three games. We looked physically and mentally fatigued at times. It wasn't until Albany scored their second goal that we picked up the tempo. I don't think this game will define our season, but we can take some valuable lessons from it."
- Albany's Jada Colbert opened scoring off a pass from Megan Cavanaugh (32:51).
- Shortly after halftime, the Great Danes extended the lead 2-1 with a goal by Cavanaugh (49:57).
- Roma McLaughlin put Central on the board scoring off a penalty kick (64:18).
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 – Central had seven corner kicks and held Albany to just one.
- Sophomore Roma McLaughlin scored her second goal of the season.
- Central was ranked 10th in the United Soccer Coaches North Region Poll (Aug. 26).
- The Blue Devils are 2-1 all-time against the Great Danes.
- The last time these two teams played against each other was in 2011, with Central prevailing 3-2 in overtime.
Central hosts Iona Thursday, Sept. 5 at 7 p.m. before playing a series of six away games.