The Central Connecticut women's indoor track and field team head to Staten Island, NY for the 2017 Northeast Conference Championships on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 17-18, held at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex. Reigning NEC Individual Cross Country Champion, senior, Brittany Mendelson, will look to defend both of her 2016 title's in the mile and 3,000 meter run.
In addition to her two individual gold medal's, Mendelson was also the anchor of the CCSU distance medley team that took first place, that helped the senior earn the 2016 NEC Most Outstanding Women's Distance Runner and NEC Indoor Women's MVP last year.
Highlights and Interviews | From the 2017 NEC Women's Indoor Track & Field Championship will be posted after the races on NEC Front Row.
- The Blue Devils came in third at last year's finals (72) behind LIU Brooklyn (143) and three-time defending champions, Sacred Heart (150).
- Last time CCSU won the NEC Championship was in 2001.
2017 Regular Season Notes
- Seniors, Melissa Wolliston and Brittany Mendelson broke Central Connecticut school records in the 60 meter hurdles (8.72), and the mile (4:56.89), respectively.
- Wolliston heads into the finals in first place in the NEC rankings for the 60H.
- Mendelson's quest for a repeat looks promising, as the senior sits atop the mile and 3,000M conference rankings. The veteran's 3K run time of 9:57.86 is nearly 12 seconds faster than SHU's, Jody DiCicco in second palce, and her first place mile time is tied with Bryant's, Melissa Logde.
- Freshman Hailey Rospierski is the NEC's current top high jumper with a 1.65m mark from the URI Coaches Tribute meet (2/4).
- Sophomore Sierra Nesmith ranks second in the league for the triple jump (11.51m), and fourth for the 400 meter dash (57.65).
The action begins at 9:00 a.m. on Friday morning for the women with the preliminary 60 meter hurdle race.