The Central Connecticut volleyball team fell to Connecticut in four sets to wrap up play at the UConn Challenge in Storrs, CT, on Saturday. Junior Emma Henderson posted a double-double with 12 kills and 11 digs to lead the Blue Devils attack. Central is home next weekend to host the CCSU Invitational on Friday and Saturday.
Score: CCSU 1, UConn 3 (25-12, 23-25, 25-16, 25-15)
Records: CCSU (2-4), UConn (3-3)
Location: UConn Challenge (Gampel Pavilion | Storrs, CT)
- The Huskies scored four straight points to take the lead in the opening set at 6-3. The Blue Devils would be unable to get closer than three points and UConn closed the set with four straight points.
- Central trailed, 14-10, in the second set before outscoring the Huskies, 11-3, to build a 21-17 lead. UConn got within a point before senior Gala Galabova had a kill to end the frame.
- UConn ran off seven straight pints to go ahead 17-7 and take control in the third set.
- In the fourth set, CCSU led 8-6 before UConn scored four straight points to take the lead for good. The Huskies scored five straight to go ahead, 19-11, and CCSU was unable to get closer.
NUMBER TO KNOW
5 – Galabova had a season-high five blocks.
- UConn leads the all-time series, 24-7. The Huskies won the last meeting, prior to Saturday, in five sets on Aug. 30, 2014.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- Eisenga had 15 digs to lead CCSU as the Blue Devils posted 48 digs as a team for the eighth straight match.
- Senior Erin McDermott finished with 23 assists. Classmate Madelyn Kaprelyan added 13 assists with seven digs and five kills.
Central hosts the CCSU Invitational next weekend and will play Saint Peter's on Friday at 4:00 p.m.