The Central Connecticut swept Saint Peter's, 3-0, on Friday to open the CCSU Invitational at Detrick Gymnasium in New Britain, CT. Central was led by freshman Taylor Buckley who had 13 kills and 14 digs. The Blue Devils play Bucknell and Rhode Island on Saturday.
Score: CCSU 3, Saint Peter's 1 (25-10, 25-22, 25-20)
Records: CCSU (3-4), Saint Peter's (2-5)
Location: CCSU Invitational (Detrick Gymnasium | New Britain, CT)
- The Blue Devils led throughout the opening set and built a 11-3 leadfollowing a run of seven straight points.
- CCSU trailed 5-3 in the second set but took the lead for good at 9-8 and scored three straight poiints.
- Central led 12-4 in the third set, but SPU would close within 22-20 late in the set. Central scored three straight to close out the match.
COACH QUOTE | Complete Postgame Comments
"It feels great. Home-opener for us, new videoboard, new locker room, it's a new season. It's always nice to start off with a win," said head coach Linda Sagnelli after starting the weekend tournament with a win.
NUMBER TO KNOW
.469 - CCSU attack percentage in the opening set. The Blue Devils had just one error
- Central Connecticut leads the all-time series, 3-1, and has won three straight meetings.
- The Blue Devils are hosting the CCSU Invitational for the first time since 2016. They went 3-0 in the tournament that season.
- Buckley and junior Samantha McCreath (10 kills) were the only Blue Devils in double-figures.
- Senior Erin McDermott had 23 assists for CCSU which hit .276 as a team in the match.
- McCreath had four aces.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had 15 digs, as CCSU had 58 as a team and helpd SPU to a .070 attack percentage.
Central will face Bucknell and Rhode Island on Saturday at 4:00 and 6:30 p.m., respectively.