The Central Connecticut lost to Lafayette, 3-1, on Friday at the Hartford Invitational in West Hartford, CT. Central was led by junior Emma Henderson who had 23 kills and 10 digs, while senior Gala Galabova had 11 kills and eight blocks. The Blue Devils play Maryland-Eastern Shore and Hartford on Saturday.
Score: CCSU 1, Lafayette 3 (25-22, 11-25, 27-25, 25-20)
Records: CCSU (3-7), Lafayette (8-5)
Location: Hartford Invitational (Hartford Volleyball Gym | West Hartford, CT)
- The opening set was back-and-forth. CCSU led 20-18 before Lafayette scored four straight to take a late lead. The Blue Devils would tie the set at 22-all before the Leopards scored the final three points.
- The second set was tied at 5-5 before CCSU went on a 9-2 run, closed out by consecutive aces by junior Samantha McCreath. The Blue Devils would score the final eight points of the set.
- CCSU scored four straight to open the third frame and would build an 8-1 lead. The Leopards would claw back to take a 23-21 lead before the Blue Devils scored three straight to set up set point. Lafayette responded by outscoring Central, 5-1, to end the set.
- In the fourth set, the Leopards closed the match by outscoring CCSU, 8-2.
"We are disappointed with the outcome, however both of our middles (Isabelle Roufs and Gala Galabova) performed extremely well tonight," said head coach Linda Sagnelli. "In addition, Emma (Henderson) had one of her best games of the season."
NUMBER TO KNOW
12 - CCSU scored the final eight points of the second set and the first four points of the third set for 12 straight points.
- Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan set a career-high with 27 assists.
- Senior Erin McDermott had 25 assists as the Blue Devils hit .266 as a team.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had a team-high 24 digs.
- Roufs finished with nine kills and four blocks.
Central will face UMES and Hartford on Saturday at 3:00 and 7:00 p.m., respectively.