Central Connecticut picked up its first Northeast Conference volleyball win of the season with a 3-0 win over Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday at Detrick Gymnasium. Central hit .304 as a team, while holding FDU to a .106 hitting percentage in the match. Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan and junior Emma Henderson posted double-doubles to lead the Blue Devils' attack. CCSU travels to Merrimack on Friday afternoon, Oct. 4.
Score: CCSU 3, FDU 0 (25-20, 25-16, 25-20)
Records: CCSU (5-9, 1-1 NEC), FDU (0-15, 0-2 NEC)
Location: Derick Gymnasium (New Britain, CT)
"We want to set our own standards, no matter who is across the net. I thought we had a slow start in the first set and then we started to kick it in a little bit," said head coach Linda Sagnelli.
- The first set was tied 19-19 until CCSU scored consecutive points and would close the set outscoring FDU, 6-1.
- Central scored five straight points on the serve of senior Mackenzie Dobbins to build a 11-7 lead. The Blue Devils then scored the final five points of the set on senior Erin McDermott's serve.
- FDU scored the first three points in the third set before Central came back to build a 10-8 lead. Freshman Molly Pincince served a run of four straight points, which included an ace and two kills by junior Nicole Kramer, to push the led to 14-8. FDU would get no closer than four points the rest of the way.
NUMBER TO KNOW
.304 - CCSU had its best team attack percentage in NEC play since hitting .317 in a 3-0 win over St. Francis Brooklyn on Nov. 9, 2018.
- Kaprelyan had a team-high 13 kills with 20 assists and eight digs, while hitting .476 in the match.
- Henderson had 12 kills and 10 digs for her fourth double-double of the year.
- Senior Erin McDermott had 23 assists and seven digs for CCSU - her 10th match with at least 20 digs in a match this season.
- Freshman Isabelle Roufs had 11 kills and hit .400.
CCSU travels to visit conference-newcomer, Merrimack, on Friday, Oct. 4.