Central Connecticut had its three-match Northeast Conference volleyball win streak snapped in a 3-1 setback at Sacred Heart on Friday afternoon. Freshman Isabelle Roufs had eight kills and eight blocks, while senior Madelyn Kaprelyan posted 19 assists, 15 digs and nine kills. CCSU will travel to Bryant on Tuesday, October 15.
Score: CCSU 1, Sacred Heart 3 (26-24, 24-26, 25-14, 25-20)
Records: CCSU (7-10, 3-2 NEC), SHU (7-10, 3-2 NEC)
Location: Pitt Center (Fairfield, CT)
- The first set was close throughout, with neither team leading by more than three points. Central led 20-17 before SHU rallied to tie. The Blue Devils would hold a 24-22 advantage before the Pioneers rolled off four straight points to win the set.
- Sacred Heart would build a 13-7 lead in the second set following five straight points. CCSU would come back with an 9-1 spurt and took a 21-17 lead following a block by junior Samantha McCreath. CCSU would score the set's final three points to tie the match.
- The Pioneers raced out to a 5-2 lead in the third set and did not trail before winning the set, 25-14.
- SHU scored five straight points to build a 11-2 cushion in the fourth set. Central would respond with 14 straight points led by four kills from Roufs, including one to make it 16-11. SHU would outscore CCSU, 8-1, to regain the lead and go on to win the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
15 - The Blue Devils defense accounted for 15 blocks as a team.
- CCSU dropped its first set since the NEC opener vs. LIU on Sept. 27. Central had won the previous three matches, 3-0.
- Central is 20-18 against Sacred Heart since 2001. The Pioneers have won the last two meetings and are 6-4 in the last 10.
- The Blue Devils recorded 69 digs, posting 60+ for the eighth time this season.
- Kaprelyan narrowly missed her fourth triple-double of the year, but posted her second double-double in NEC play.
- Roufs set a career-high for blocks and posted at least eight kills for the fifth time.
- Senior Erin McDermott had 12 assists and nine digs.
- Juniors Samantha McCreath (15 digs), Emma Henderson (13) and Ashlyn Eisenga (11) finished with double-digit dig totals.
CCSU plays at Bryant on Tuesday, Oct. 15, at 7:00 p.m.