Central Connecticut volleyball dropped a five-set contest at Bryant on Tuesday night in Smithfield, RI. Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan narrowly missed a triple-double with 24 assists, 13 kills and nine digs, while freshman Isabelle Roufs had a team-high 15 kills for CCSU. Central returns home this weekend and will host Robert Morris on Oct. 18.
Score: CCSU 2, Bryant 3 (17-25, 25-22, 25-17, 16-25, 15-13)
Records: CCSU (7-11, 3-3 NEC), BRY (11-13, 6-2 NEC)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, RI)
- The Blue Devils broke a 13-13 tie in the first frame with three unanswered points. Central then scored four straight points, all served by junior Ashlyn Eisenga, in the opening set to build a 24-16 lead en route to taking the early lead in the match.
- Central trailed midway through set two before junior Emma Henderson tied the score to open a run of four straight points. A kill by senior Madelyn Kaprelyan made it 22-19, CCSU, but the Bulldogs would score the last six points of the set to level the match.
- Bryant scored the first five points of the third set and would maintain the lead throughout. The Bulldogs would close the set by outscoring CCSU, 7-3, to take a lead in the match.
- Henderson served Central to a 5-0 lead to begin the fourth set. CCSU would lead throughout the set and pushed the lead to as much as 10 points before winning, 25-16, to force the fifth set.
- In the decisive set, the teams went back-and-forth through the first 10 points before CCSU scored consecutive points to take a 6-5 lead. The Bulldogs would take the first two-point lead by either side at 9-7 and held off the Blue Devils to win the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
32 - Senior Erin McDermott posted a season-high with 32 assists.
- CCSU is 14-9 against Bryant since 2001 but has lost four straight in the series.
- Central slips to 0-4 in five-set matches on the season.
- Kaprelyan has posted double-doubles in back-to-back matches.
- Junior Emma Henderson collected her sixth double-double of the year with 12 kills and 17 digs.
- Senior Erin McDermott recorded 30+ assists in a match for the second time this season.
- Senior Morgan Woycik had 11 kills and hit .476.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had a team-high 24 digs, while senior Gala Galabova had a team-best three blocks.
CCSU hosts Robert Morris on Friday night at 7:00 p.m.