Central Connecticut volleyball fell to Robert Morris, 3-1, on Friday at Detrick Gymnasium. Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan and junior Emma Henderson each had double-doubles for the Blue Devils. Central hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday.
Score: CCSU 1, RMU 3 (18-25, 25-21, 25-20, 25-16)
Records: CCSU (7-12, 3-4 NEC), RMU (18-3, 8-0 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium (New Britain, CT)
"The execution in the first set was flawless. We were able to tie together execution with competitiveness and aggression, which made for a great team attitude. As the match went on we started to struggle a little bit, and our passing was hot and cold. Robert Morris took advantage of those cold times, if we couldn't put pressure on them they were running free-ball offense back at us and that's very difficult to defend," said head coach Linda Sagnelli.
- The Blue Devils broke an 11-all tie with an ace by freshman Isabelle Roufs and a block by senior Morgan Woycik. The lead would grow to as much as 25-18 when Central won the opening set.
- Robert Morris scored the first four points of the second set to force a Central timeout. The Blue Devils would outscore the Colonials, 7-1, to get within 23-21, but they were never able to get closer and RMU held on to tie the match.
- CCSU scored four straight points, capped off by an ace by senior Erin McDermott to make it 22-19, but the Colonials would score the final two points of the set to take a lead in the match.
- The fourth set was tied at 10-10 before RMU scored four straight to take the lead for good. The Colonials outscored CCSU, 5-1, to close the set and win the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
7 - Henderson has seven double-doubles on the season after posting 15 kills and 13 digs.
- CCSU is 12-19 against RMU since 2001.
- Kaprelyan (11 kills, 16 assists) has posted double-doubles in three straight matches
- Freshman Isabelle Roufs had 11 kills and a team-high four blocks.
- Senior Erin McDermott had a team-high 27 assists and junior Ashlyn Eisenga had 24 digs.
Central hosts Saint Francis U on Saturday at 5 p.m.