The Central Connecticut volleyball team won a thrilling five-set match at LIU on Friday night at the Steinberg Wellness Center in Brooklyn, NY. Seniors Madelyn Kaprelyan and Erin McDermott and junior Emma Henderson each had double-doubles for the Blue Devils in the win. CCSU travels to Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday.
Score: CCSU 3, LIU 2 (13-25, 25-21, 19-25, 25-8, 21-19)
Records: CCSU (9-12, 5-4 NEC), LIU (7-14, 6-3 NEC)
Location: Steinberg Wellness Center (Brooklyn, NY)
"I am so proud of how the team fought tonight. They played so aggressively and believed in themselves. True team effort," head coach Linda Sagnelli
- LIU pulled away in the opening set, outscoring Central, 9-1 to close out the set.
- CCSU scored seven straight to erase a 13-11 deficit in set two and the Blue Devils would go on to tie the match.
- The Sharks took the third set, 25-19, before CCSU took control in the fourth set. Central scored six straight to take a 12-5 lead and then closed the frame outscoring LIU, 11-1.
- In the fifth set, the Blue Devils held a 14-11 lead before LIU scored three straight to extend the match. The teams went back-and-forth before Kaprelyan and junior Samantha McCreath had back-to-back kills to win the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
88 - Central had a season-high in digs, surpassing 80 digs in a match for the second straight contest.
- CCSU is 5-29 against LIU since 2001, but the Blue Devils have won two out of the last three meetings.
- Kaprelyan (17 kills, 18 assists) has posted double-doubles in five straight matches and just missed a triple-double with nine digs.
- Henderson notcher her ninth double-double with 16 kills and 15 digs.
- Senior Erin McDermott had a team-high 31 assists and 17 digs for her fifth double-double of the year.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had 28 digs, while McCreath added 14 digs.
Central travels to Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday.