Central Connecticut pushed Robert Morris to five sets before falling, 3-2, in Northeast Conference volleyball action at the UPMC Events Center on Friday night in Moon Township, PA. Three Blue Devils recorded double-doubles in the match, while becoming the first NEC squad to push RMU to five sets this season. Central will look to bounce back at Saint Francis U on Saturday in Loretto, PA.
Score: CCSU 2, Robert Morris 3 (25-18, 25-23, 17-25, 21-25, 15-8)
Records: CCSU (12-12, 8-4 NEC), RMU (22-3, 12-0 NEC)
Location: UPMC Events Center (Moon Township, PA)
- Central led 15-13 in the opening set before the Colonials took the lead on four straight points. CCSU would get back within a point before RMU scored six straight to go ahead 23-16 and take control of the set.
- RMU led 15-9 midway through the second set before CCSU would charge back to tie it at 20-20 following an ace by junior Emma Henderson. Central would edge ahead 23-21 before the Colonials closed the set with four straight points.
- The Blue Devils built a 7-2 lead to open the third set following six straight points. CCSU would not let the set get closer than three points the rest of the way and pushed the lead to as much as 22-13 before winning the set.
- In the fourth set, CCSU trailed by two points before outscoring RMU, 6-1, to build a 24-20 lead en route to forcing a fifth set.
- The Colonials scored the first three points of the fifth set and would push the lead to 8-3 midway through. RMU would score the final three points to close out the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
2 - Central committed just two service errors in the match, while RMU had 12 service errors.
- CCSU is 12-20 against RMU since 2001. Central was the first NEC team to push RMU to five sets this season.
- Freshman Isabelle Roufs had a team-high 15 kills and six blocks for CCSU.
- Junior Emma Henderson posted her 12th double-double of the season with 11 kills and 17 digs, along with five blocks.
- Junior Samantha McCreath had her sixth double-double with 10 kills and 13 digs.
- Senior Erin McDermott had her seventh double-double of the year with 27 assists and 12 digs.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga posted a team-high 25 digs.
Central heads to Loretto, PA, to face Saint Francis U on Saturday.