Central Connecticut volleyball rallied to defeat Saint Francis U on Saturday after falling in the first set. The Blue Devils would take the final three sets of the match to win at DeGol Arena in Loretto, PA. Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan had her fifth triple-double of the year and classmate Erin McDermott added a double-double. CCSU hosts Sacred Heart on Wednesday night to begin the final weekend of the regular season.
Score: CCSU 3, Saint Francis U 1 (22-25, 25-12, 25-13, 25-19)
Records: CCSU (13-13, 8-5 NEC), SFU (3-23, 3-11)
Location: DeGol Arena (Loretto, PA)
- The Red Flash jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the opening set and would push the lead to 19-11. CCSU rallied with six unanswered points to get within 19-17, but the Red Flash would maintain the lead and win the set.
- CCSU scored six straight to build a 6-1 lead in set two. After SFU got within, 11-8, Central scored seven straight points to build a 18-8 lead and would go on to even the match.
- Central built a 10-3 lead in the third set and would go on to close the set by outscoring SFU, 7-1.
- CCSU used a 7-1 run to take a 10-6 lead in the fourth set. SFU would get within, 19-17, but the Blue Devils closed the match by outscoring the Red Flash, 6-2.
NUMBER TO KNOW
9 - Central had nine aces in the match, including four by senior Erin McDermott.
- CCSU is 20-7 against SFU since 2001. The Blue Devils have won eight straight meetings.
- Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan had her fifth triple-double with 10 kills, 21 assists and 16 digs.
- Senior Morgan Woycik had 10 kills and hit .364 for CCSU.
- Freshman Isabelle Roufs hit .571 and had nine kills..
- Senior Erin McDermott had her eighth double-double of the year with 21 assists and 16 digs. She added three blocks.
- Junior Nicole Kramer had a team-high four blocks and added three kills.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had 13 digs.
Central closes out the regular season at home with two matches next week. CCSU hosts Sacred Heart on Wednesday night.