Central Connecticut fell to Sacred Heart in four sets in Northeast Conference volleyball action on Wednesday night at Detrick Gymnasium. Juniors Emma Henderson and Samantha McCreath both posted double-doubles to lead the Blue Devils. CCSU hosts Bryant on Friday night in the regular-season finale and will honor its seniors prior to the match.
Score: CCSU 1, Sacred Heart 3 (25-21, 20-25, 25-20, 25-15)
Records: CCSU (13-14, 9-6 NEC), SHU (16-11, 11-3 NEC)
Location: Detrick Gymnasium (New Britain, CT)
"At times I thought we were the more aggressive team and had a better rhythm on the floor, but our errors added up. I think that's what hurt us in the end, we just didn't take care of the ball," said head coach Linda Sagnelli.
- Central would score five straight points to tie the opening set at 15-15. The score was tied at 18-18 before SHU would outscore CCSU, 4-1, to go ahead and eventually take the set.
- The Blue Devils raced out to a 4-1 lead in the second set. After the Pioneers tied the set at 12-all, CCSU would score seven straight with junior Ashlyn Eisenga serving to take control of the set and tie the match.
- CCSU led, 8-3, early in the third set, but SHU would score six straight to go ahead 14-10. The Blue Devils would be unable to get closer than 15-14 and a pair of CCSU errors would close the set to give SHU the lead in the match.
- Sacred Heart scored four straight points in the fourth set to take an early lead. CCSU would get within, 7-6, but the Pioneers would not relinquish the lead and went on to win the match.
NUMBER TO KNOW
26 - Central matched a season-high in conference play with 26 attack errors.
- CCSU is 20-19 against Sacred Heart since 2002, but has lost the last three meetings.
- Henderson had a team-high 13 kills to go with 22 digs for her 13th double-double of the season.
- McCreath had her seventh double-double with 10 kills and 17 digs.
- Freshman Isabelle Roufs had 11 kills and six blocks.
- Senior Erin McDermott had a team-high 27 assists.
- Senior Madelyn Kaprelyan added 22 assists with eight kills and seven digs.
- Junior Ashlyn Eisenga had 15 digs and two aces.
Central closes out the regular season against Bryant on Friday night.