The Central Connecticut football team will travel to Fairfield to face Sacred Heart on Saturday in the annual Constitution State Rivalry game. The game will air nationally on Fox College Sports (Atlantic), Cox (CT - Ch. 128, 1128 & Direct TV Ch. 608) and ESPN3.com as part of the Northeast Conference television package. Kickoff is scheduled for 12 p.m. at Campus Field.
Watch Live - ESPN3
Watch Live - NEC Front Row
Listen Live - Fox Sports Radio 1410 AM
The Blue Devils (0-4, 0-1 NEC) and Pioneers (0-3, 0-1 NEC) are both looking for their first win of the season. CCSU was also featured in last week's NEC TV game, as was the Blue Devils' newly renovated home, Arute Field.
Saturday the Blue Devils will visit Campus Field at Sacred Heart, a site where Central has not lost under head coach Jeff McInerney.
Here are some other notes on the Blue Devils heading into Saturday's game:
The Blue Devils and Pioneers first played football in 1998 with CCSU winning 38-31 on the road. Recently, the Blue Devils have held the advantage in the series winning seven of the last eight games and four straight at Sacred Heart. Under head coach Jeff McInerney, the Blue Devils are 5-1 against the Pioneers with the only loss coming last season at Arute Field. Overall, the Blue Devils hold a 9-5 advantage in the all-time series between these programs.
On the Road at Sacred Heart
The Blue Devils have won four straight road games at Sacred Heart. Central Captured victories at Campus Field in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2010. Central outscored Sacred Heart 139-59 over those four games and allowed the Pioneers 17, 14, 14 and 14 points. The Blue Devils have posted 40+ points at Sacred Heart two times under head coach Jeff McInerney.
Clements Career Day
Junior Andrew Clements was 19-of-25 for 165 yards with a touchdown and an interception in Saturday's game. The 19 completions were the most for a Blue Devil since 10/15/11 when Gunnar Jespersen went 19-for-25 for 168 yards and an INT against Duquesne, however Jespersen did not throw a touchdown in that game. On the season, Clements is 47-of-74 with four interceptions and two touchdowns. He has accounted for 414 yards through the air and he has improved his passing yardage in each game this year.
• CCSU is taking part in its fourth home opener of 2012 at Sacred Heart. The Blue Devils were the first home opponent for Stony Brook, New Hampshire and Sacred Heart and hosted Lehigh in their own home opener on September 8.
• Senior Juan Duque kicked a career-long 42-yard field goal against the Pioneers last season.
• The Blue Devils have scored 35 second half points compared to 19 in the first half this season.
• CCSU has controlled the clock this season, the Blue Devils average 30:33 minutes of ball possession per game.
• Third down has not been kind to the Blue Devils. CCSU has converted just 15-of-57 third downs (26%).